Sometimes you don’t think of what you eat or drink can actuality stain your teeth. When it comes to teeth here at Reimels Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Huntersville, North Carolina we want to make sure that your teeth will be taken care of properly and by doing so we are going to list some foods and drinks that can stain your teeth, so you can be aware and hopefully cut down on these types of foods and drinks so we can reduce the staining and maybe eliminate it all together.
Common Items That Stain Your Teeth
Here are some foods and drinks that can cause your teeth to stain.
- Coffee’s and Tea’s- if you’re a big tea or coffee drinker we suggest that you try to cut back on them because both of these drinks contain tannins and that will cause your teeth to satin. Tyr putting more milk in your tea or coffee it will help counteract the staining.
- Red and White Wine- its perfectly fine if you drink wine occasionally but for your teeth it is not ok. Wine, especially red wine is one of the most common causes of tooth staining.
- Sodas- any type of dark colored soda is filled with acids that will eat away the enamel of your teeth and also stain your teeth in the process.
- Fruit Juice- any kind of dark colored juice like blueberry, grape, or cranberry juice is really bad for your teeth and can cause staining.
- Tomato Sauces- tomatoes are a wonderful source of nutrients. However, the pigment that makes them have that deep red color, will cause your teeth to stain.
- Soy sauce- this is really good with any kind of stir-fry’s but where its contents is dark, it may linger on your teeth after you have finished your meal causing your teeth to stain.
- Berries- are another type of food that will stain your teeth.
What to Do When Items Stain Your Teeth
Here at Reimels Family and Cosmetic Dentistry we suggest you try to limit these types of foods and drinks because they are very harmful for your teeth and they will stain your teeth. instead of drinking wine or soda, replace it with good old-fashioned spring water or if you don’t like that then just add a bit of flavor to it. Here are some steps you can do to reduce the staining.
- After eating or drinking anything that can stain your teeth it is always best to rinse your mouth out with warm water.
- You can also use a straw when you drink sodas or juice.
- You can chew some gum that contains Xylitol that can help you get more saliva in your mouth which cleans your mouth in the process.
- Substitute your candy and snacks for some crunchy vegetables and fruits like apples, carrots, or celery, all this will help stimulate saliva and can scrub your teeth.
- Also make sure you practice good dental hygiene.
If you have any questions or concerns on this matter, please don’t hesitate to call us!